1. Your personal relationship with Jesus. This is the first area, because it is the your most important part of your marriage. You need to make sure you are doing everything you can do to stay consistent in your walk with Christ. Here are 3 articlesyou need to read to help you through this process and in building a real plan for growth this new year.
2. Your personal dedication toward maturity. The second area is all about your personal dedication towards growing in maturity every day. A man needs to have purpose in his life to feel important and a personal dedication to growing in maturity will help establish that in a man. It might involve keeping a journal, attending or running a men's class or helping out those in need. Here are 3 articles to help you maintain your personal dedication towards maturity in the new year.
3. Your personal dedication toward understanding your wife's needs. The third area involves getting and maintaining a good understanding of your wife's needs. What did you learn last year about your wife that you should apply more often this year? Take it to another level and write down those things so that you can refresh yourself every month. Make her needs a priority and you'll see how more willing she is to meet your needs. Here are 3 articles that will help you better meet the needs of your wife.
4. Your personal willingness to learn more about marriage. The fourth area has become a critical part of my wife and I both growing in our marriage. Last year we attended a marriage conference and went through a marriage class with other couples our age. A little bit of time and money will go a long way in making sure your marriage gets stronger each year. I encourage you to be open and willing in attending a marriage conference or joining a small group marriage class this year. Here are 3 articles that will help you learn more about your marriage.
5. Your personal ability to communicate honestly with your wife. The last area is all about communication and your willingness to share what's on your heart. How did your communication go last year? Were you able to share your needs or desires? If you're communication has been struggling, then I encourage you to seek ways to improve this area of your marriage. Set aside the pride and talk to your pastor about your issues.
Seek out another couple with a strong marriage and find out what tools they are using to better communicate. Or, find the courage to pray with your wife. Prayer will open the door to powerful communication.
This post was adapted from an article written by Bryan Van Slyke of Charisma Magazine. You can find his article here; http://www.charismamag.com/life/men/22165-5-ways-you-can-improve-your-marriage-in-2015