His friend, Gilbert, went to the post office with him. On the way to the post office, Beaver was telling Gilbert about this race car that he had been admiring in the toy store window for the last month. However, Beaver's dad said that Beaver had plenty of race cars and he needed to "get that idea" out of his head of ever owning it. After picking up the birthday money from the post office, they both noticed that Beaver's uncle sent him a $10 bill. The car cost $9.13 I think you know where this story is going...
Gilbert: Hey, let's walk down this street on the way home (Beaver complies)
Beaver: Gilbert why did we choose this street?
Gilbert: We always walk down this street Beaver.
Beaver: (standing in front of the toy store) I don't think we should've walked down this street.
Gilbert: It doesn't hurt to look, let's go inside.
Beaver: OK but I'm not buying, I need to talk to my dad first.
Beaver: (walking out of the store) I don't know how it happened, I wasn't going to buy it. I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD HAVE WALKED DOWN THIS STREET.
The story continues where Beaver has to tell one lie to cover up another and before you know it, being totally honest is a very difficult thing for him. Wally knows the truth and he even lies for Beaver.
What can the Beaver teach us about how to be a real man?
1) Sometimes, our "friends" don't have our best interests at heart.
2) If you have to lie/deceive, then you are getting yourself into trouble.
3) If you have to lie/deceive to cover up your lies/deception, you're getting yourself into deeper trouble.
4) If your lying/deceiving causes someone else to lie/deceive others, you're getting into even deeper trouble.
5) Many temptations can be avoided: IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A WEAKNESS, DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE TEMPTED
6) It is never to late to do the right thing. No matter how profound your deception, your life will be better if you come clean.
7) Even when you finally do the right thing, you will have consequences from your past, but your past will no longer have control over you.
8) When you finally do the right thing, you will find out who your real friends are and you will also find support from those who really care.
So, when you hear the Holy Spirit telling you, "maybe we shouldn't walk down this street" it would be good to listen.
Don't walk down that street.
BE A MAN.