Yet, there are times that I have seen men volunteer in the church nursery. When I see men volunteering, it really encourages me as men have a vital role to play in the development of children.
Our churches are no exception, we men can contribute much to the spiritual, emotional and physical development of the children in our care.
Taking care of the youngest people in our church is essential and we men can play a vital role in their lives. Here are some reasons why I volunteer in the church nursery:
1. I’m counting on a long-term relationship with these children. I want to get to know them at all phases of their development and be there for them during these developmental processes.
2. A long-term relationship means that these children will grow up being familiar with me. Hopefully, by being familiar, they will seek out my friendly advice for their lives as they grow.
3. By being familiar with them from a young age, I earn the right to speak to them about their behavior as they grow.
4. I want to model that men don’t have to always be tough acting. Men can be tender and caring.
5. Typically, men care for children differently than women. Men play more. Women nurture more. Children need both.
6. Children need to see how men and women work together. By men volunteering in the nursery with women nursery volunteers, children get a more complete picture of human relationships.
7. When men and women volunteer in the church nursery together, children get a more complete picture of what God is like.
8. With single parenting becoming more common, we men can help those children who need a positive male influence.
9. Sometimes, it's just plain fun to get on the floor and play like a kid.
Those are just some simple reasons that come to mind. Can you think of other reasons why men need to volunteer in the church nursery?
BE A MAN.